(meteorobs) Fw: [IMO-News] METEOR CONTEMPORARY POETRY PROJECT (5)

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Thu Jun 23 09:01:35 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/23/05 1:16:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
arlene.carol at gmail.com writes:

<< I sent a
 'heads up' to my state-side group about the incredible low-lying moon this
 week.
  a question was asked - 'if we're having a full moon here, is there also one
 on the other side of the planet'?
  amazing that people could ask that... >>

    During the total lunar eclipse of July 6, 1982, a bunch of us were
watching from Jones Beach, Long Island.  I had my radio on, tuned to the Larry King
Show (in those days, he had an all-night radio talk-show . . . before he got
his CNN television show).  That night, King was taking calls from listeners who
were viewing the eclipse and one person called up and asked a question:

    "If we're watching a total eclipse of the Moon, are the people on the
other side of the Earth seeing a total eclipse of the Sun?"

There was a long pause, then King finally responded:  "I . . . don't think
so."
-- joe rao