(meteorobs) OT query: contrail-like formations on jet wing tips

josephasmus at cox.net josephasmus at cox.net
Fri Mar 4 13:04:52 EST 2005

Hi all,

I was just asked a question that I can not adequately answer and since this is a quiet time on the list I thought it ok to post

- What causes the short-lived contrail-like formations that are formed on the very tips of jet engine wings?  Living near a San Diego Airport and Miramar Air Base we see these all the time...  They last for minutes or sometimes only seconds... They are curly and wispy in appearance.

Reponse may be made to my private email. joseph.assmus at sharp.com

Ideas/answers anyone?

Joseph Assmus
San Diego, CA