(meteorobs) Answer.

geir oye astrog2 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 12:27:57 EST 2005

Ed Majden:

Thanks for sharing your opinions. I appreciate them.

I have a differen't opinion based upon my experience with my equipment and  what I actually saw visually on the sky. Like anyone else I know for sure that the chances of getting a meteor into the telescopic view are only microscopic. So small that I am not going to spend much time trying to convince anyone, if they do not want to believe it can happen.

Anyone, is entitled to their own opinion. I have never seen a disintegrating meteor explode in a telescopic field before, therefore I cannot say what it is supposed to look like.

However, the webpage displays my photographic observation, the visual observation is consistent with my previous observations of meteors coming straight towards me.

I observed a meteor (visual mag. -2.8) coming towards me at the same time as the exposure had elapsed approx one second, I was caught by surprise and by reflex I ended the exposure immediatly. So the image header shows that the exposure had a duration of two seconds.

When it comes to the claim that this image is caused by shaking the telescope, no this telescope was never under any form of vibration. The telescope/camera set up was not touched at all prior under and at the end of the exposure. The camera was operated via a wireless remote controller, the observer stood one and a half meter away from the telescope.

My previous experience with my equipment shows that there is no shaking from neither starting nor shutting the exposure with this setup. If the case was that this was the case, then I wouldn't have had this equipment, it would not be useful for my observation.

My conclusion is that I saw a meteor visually and by more than luck it ended up in my telescopic field.  Thanks for your attention.

Sincerely,
Geir Oye