(meteorobs) Answer.

Robert McNaught rmn at murky.anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 9 13:06:04 EST 2005

Geir,
In interpreting an image such as yours it is important to have reliable
information about the event.

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, geir oye wrote:

> I observed a meteor (visual mag. -2.8) coming towards me at the same time
> as the exposure had elapsed approx one second, I was caught by surprise
> and by reflex I ended the exposure immediatly.

Your web page states "I am quite sure that this was a minor meteor,
because I hardly saw it with the naked eye, I only catched a small blink."

Note also that at f/10 anything you photograph in a short exposure will
be obviously visible to the naked eye.  You did not see the intricate
structure to the upper right of the "meteor".  This must make it
an artifact and not a real structure.

BTW, over the past 35 years, I have seen or photographed rocket exhausts,
satellite manoveures, satellite re-entries, satellite glints, long-lived
fireball trains in twilight/daylight, disintegrating meteors and ...
camera/telescope shake.  It is certainly none of the former.

Cheers, Rob