(meteorobs) Answer.

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Wed Mar 9 13:12:09 EST 2005

Geir>> I have never seen a disintegrating meteor explode  in a telescopic
field before, therefore I cannot say what it is supposed to look  like. <<

If it is a meteor, you didn't get the exploding end in your image. If you
did, there would be at least a bulging on the end that exploded. Neither end of
your image shows this.

Geir>>However, the webpage displays my  photographic observation, the visual
observation is consistent with my previous  observations of meteors coming
straight towards me. <<

This does not at all look like a meteor coming straight towards you or even
relatively close. If it was, there should be trains expanding on both sides of
 the meteor image of about equal amount...This image does not show this. With
a 2  second exposure this should be noticed.

Geir>>I observed a meteor  (visual mag. -2.8) coming towards me at the same
time as the exposure had  elapsed approx one second, I was caught by surprise
and by reflex I ended the  exposure immediatly. So the image header shows that
the exposure had a duration  of two seconds.<<

You may have seen this, but this is not what you photographed.

Geir>>When it comes to the claim that this image is caused by  shaking the
telescope, no this telescope was never under any form of vibration.  The
telescope/camera set up was not touched at all prior under and at the end of  the
exposure. The camera was operated via a wireless remote controller, the  observer
stood one and a half meter away from the telescope.<<

Regardless what triggered the camera shutter, the mechanical motion of it
opening should produce some kind of vibrations?

Geir>>My conclusion  is that I saw a meteor visually and by more than luck it
ended up in my  telescopic field.  Thanks for your attention.<<

My conclusion is that you saw a meteor visually and by bad luck or design
you got something else.
George Zay