(meteorobs) My Disintegrating Meteor Photo Conclusion

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 09:37:04 EST 2005

Okay, I'm going to try to consolidate what I believe is in the
Disintegrating Meteor Photo that's being kicked around. The following is my  conclusion of
what was photographed, hopefully without too much rambling.

1. First, the photographer in no way hoaxed or manipulated the image.

2. The meteor image is not a meteor.

3. The meteor train image is not a meteor train.

4.There was some sort of vibration that showed up in the second half of a 2
second exposure.

5. There were no bright stars photographed or perhaps none at all. If
anything looks like a star, they are either artifacts or too dim to register any
jiggling as the result of a vibration. I think the lack of stars was due to a
combination of a bright moon just below the horizon, magnitude extinction along
 the horizon and too short of an exposure. The exposure being about 1 second,
 since the second half of the 2 second exposure was obliterated by a
vibration.

6. The meteor image was that of an airplanes landing lights momentarily
turned on. An apparent common practice amongst pilots flying over mountainous
terrain.

7. In the image, the plane is traveling right to left. The camera's shutter
may or may not have cut off any of the apparent meteor image. Either way it
wouldn't mess up what I'm interpreting.

8. The meteor train image was not a star, but one of the aircrafts caution
lights that blinks at a rate of about once every 1 or 2 seconds. There might be
 another caution light blinking with a shorter duration also in the image? It
may  or may not be in syncronation with the other caution lights. One or two
of the  other caution lights could be hidden by the body of the aircraft. The
jiggling  of these lights imitating a train would also make it appear to be
associated  with the apparent meteor image. Thus eliminating the coincidence of
a star being  associated with a meteor.

9. A right to left travel of an aircraft would explain why no apparent  train
is seen on the left side of the meteor image, but just on the right side.

Well...that's my interpretation for all what it's worth. :O)
George Zay