(meteorobs) Simultaneous meteor sound reports?

David Entwistle david.entwistle at dial.pipex.com
Fri Mar 11 12:24:57 EST 2005

There are a couple of reports of simultaneous meteor-sound posted to the
UK astronomy newsgroup uk.sci.astronomy - under the thread 'Astronomy in
Northern Scotland'. They aren't recent events and are just mentioned
casually in passing. I've copied extracts here without the original
poster's permission.

Other than the Global Electrophonic Fireball Survey, are any other
bodies investigating simultaneous meteor sounds, and so interested in
such reports?

<extract>

A couple of years ago I was jogging alongside the Caledonian Canal at
night from Dochgarroch to Inverness when I noticed an increase in
illumination around me. Trying to find the source of light, I happened
to look up and saw a large green meteor, much larger than the many
shooting stars I have seen. It made a hissing sound like a hot poker
into water as it 'fizzled out'. Almost overhead and apparently
travelling parallel to the ground, it had a short trail and was as
bright as a flare. Beautiful green colour, it made me stop jogging and
watch. It disappeared within a second or two though, crossing only a
small arc of sky during my observation. It seemed to be low (as in
altitude) in the sky and moved very slowly compared to a shooting star,
but perhaps the inclination and speed can be deceptive due to the angle
of viewing?

It was heading roughly North-East.

Was thinking of posting this at http://www.imo.net/fireball/report.html
but it was a while ago now and I don't know about magnitude and things
like that currently, so just thought I would air it here - it may be of
interest to someone! Would also be interesting to know if anyone else
has seen similar.

<end extract>

Followed up by Martin Frey:

<start extract>

You have written an exact description of a meteor my wife and I saw a
few days before the 2001 exclipse. You are not alone...

The only difference was that the fizzing noise made us turn round and
see it, rather than the brightness - we were on the terrace of a lit
up cafe. It seemed to be just above a line of trees a hundred odd
yards away - and by just above I don't mean line of sight - it really
seemed to be that close and travelling at about the speed the RAF
prefers when they buzz my house.

<end extract>
--
David Entwistle