(meteorobs) TO ALL POSTERS, PLEASE READ: Basic 'meteorobs' Etiquette

Lew Gramer mameteors at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 12 12:57:06 EST 2005

Certain recent threads of discussion on 'meteorobs' have been very informative
and interesting - to me, and I'm sure to many of our readers.

However, it seems an appropriate time to review the Etiquette of our list,
which is VERY STRICTLY enforced, for the convenience of our 800+ subscribers
and thousands of other online readers... First, what is 'meteorobs'?

1) 'meteorobs' is about meteors: any discussion directly relating to meteors
(including meteor photography, fireballs, meteor showers, meteoroid streams,
meteor spectroscopy, questions about basic meteor observing and recording,
etc.) is ALWAYS WELCOME here.

Certain other topics (comets, asteroids, weather, observing equipment etc.) are
also welcome, if they are at least indirectly related to meteors, and if our
list is not currently too busy with our main topic - which is meteors. :)

2) 'meteorobs' is a diverse community - meteor science and other astronomy
professionals, experienced meteor amateurs, and rank newcomers (as well as
members of the press) are all welcome and very much present here. And our
membership encompasses most of the developed countries of the world (and quite
a few less developed ones).

As a consequence of both of the above points about our forum, our rules of
decorum MUST BE ENFORCED on this list: otherwise, a community like ours could
not survive, let alone thrive as it has done over this past decade...

With that said, here are some things which are NOT welcome on this list:

 o discussion of the relative merits of one astronomy club or another;

 o short-comings (real or perceived) of an individual observer or group;

 o discussion of individual member opinions on "what this list is for";

 o ANY COMMUNICATION which is - or may be SEEN as - disrespectful to other list
members, e.g., "lighten up, Mac".

Any of the above discussions may be directed to the List Administrators at any
time, and we will listen respectfully to your views. Here is the address for
the List Administrators (and "list elves"):
  owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org

Please take note of this address!

However, if you choose to direct any of the above UNWELCOME communications to
the LIST itself, and you persist in doing so after having been notified, we
WILL moderate your posts - and if it persists, we will remove and ban you.

I have done this only very, very rarely: I do not enjoy it, in any way.
However, it IS sometimes necessary, in order to maintain our community. I hope
that all of our members will understand and support that necessity.

If you have any questions, concerns or comments about any of the above - please
DO let me know at "owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org". And please do NOT reply to
this message directly over the list, with any such comments.

Thanks to all, and clear skies around the world for this Last Quarter!

Lew Gramer
owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org
http://www.meteorobs.org