(meteorobs) Observations March 12/13 2005 East GA

Kim Youmans meteorsga at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 13 16:43:18 EST 2005

    Ah, spring (almost!) and naturally, a young man's fancy turns towards
thoughts of, well, lower sporadic meteor rates (for one thing).  Of course,
the lower sporadic rates of late winter/early spring would be in the back of
any observer's mind whilst lying beneath a breezy, March canopy of stars.
No doubt, expectations of lower rates coupled with the chilly night air
detract heavily from the allure of observing right now.  Bob Lunsford's
weekly meteor outlook offered only one worthy minor shower for the upcoming
week, the ever-present antehelion (currently Virginid) radiant firmly
ensconced near the ecliptic.
     But, perhaps, those sporadic rates aren't always as low as expected.
With tape recorder (and tonight, actual plots) in tow, I'm always willing to
give up a few hours sleep this time of year just to double-check.  Given a
clear sky, that's as good an excuse as any to get out and observe!  On a
night like this, mine could well be the only eyes out counting meteor rates.
The temps this morning hovered around a very comfortable 60 degrees F -- the
wind was light, the sky was transparent.   The guest on Art Bell's show was
as kooky as ever. Reports were given of a massive, green fireball seen over
the Left Coast of the US.  "Ah heck," I thought, "get over it!"  I'd seen my
own -8 just last weekend, indulging myself in a bit of well-deserved
meteor-observer hubris -- or was it just plain old envy?    And ... bits of
glowing space dust graced the skies quite regularly thoughout my two-hour
watch from 3:30 to 5:30 AM local time.
     Well, you just don't know until you get outside and look!  My sporadic
rates were not stingy, but over the course of two hours, the rates were
about average.  I saw three VIRs and five SPOs during the first hour, and
ten SPOs (no VIR) during the second hour for a total of eighteen meteors
during the session.  The R value was a good bit higher the second hour, with
two magnitude 0 meteors seen, a +1 and  three at +2.  Plots showed nothing
but randomness in the sporadics.
      Meanwhile, on the drive home, the AM radio station out of Charlotte
continued to give reports about the NW Pacific fireball.  II would read a
bit later that one witness stated she had to "shield her eyes" initially,
the object was so bright.  Envy, I thought to myself, yeah, it was envy...
OBSERVER: Kim S. Youmans (YOUKI) DATE: 03-12/13-2005
BEGIN:08:30 UT END10:30 UT LOCATION: Emanuel Co., Ga.
82. 10' " W; 32. 49'  N
METHOD: Tape Elev. 220 ft
Facing South, F=1.0  No breaks
Mean Sol long=352.831 MARCH 13 2005
Mean LM +6.42 FOV Mid-session 15 hr 15+25; Total Teff=2.0
SPO(15)  ANT(3)   Total (18)

Period 1
 08:30-09:30 UT  SPO(5) ANT(3) Total (8)
Dead time = 0 min; Teff = 1.0 F=1..0
Avg. LM = +6.35  FOV Mid period 14hr 45 +27
Mid Period Sol Long. 352.818

Period 2
09:30-10:30UT  SPO(10)  Total (10)
Dead time = 0 min; Teff = 1.0 F=1.0
Avg. LM = +6.50  FOV Mid period 15hr 45 +22
Mid Period Sol Long. 352.860

Showers Observed
ANT(3)     12:24 (186) -02
SPO(15)

Magnitude Distribution
P1
SPO(5)               +2(1)  +3(2) +4(1) +5(1)
ANT(3)                                     +4(2) +5(1)

P2
SPO(10)  0(2)   +1(1) +2(3)   +3(1) +4(2) +5(1)

Meteor Data
P1 (8:30 - 9:30 UT)
  Time UT        Shower  Mag  Speed    Comments
1   08:35              ANT         4    2     plot "a"
2   08:44              ANT         4    2     plot "b"
3   08:45              SPO         4    3    train, plot "c"
4   08:48              SPO         3    2
5   08:57              ANT         5    2    plot "d"
6   08:59              SPO         5    3
7   09:01              SPO         2    4   train, plot "e"
8   09:12              SPO         3    2    plot "f"

P2  (09:30-10:30 UT)
  9  09:38              SPO         5    2
10  09:40              SPO         2    2     plot "g"
11  09:46              SPO         2    2    plot "h,"
12  09:49              SPO         1    2
13  09:51              SPO         3    3
14  09:51              SPO         0    4   train, plot "i"
15  10:00              SPO         4    3   train, plot"j"
16  10:03              SPO         2    4   train, plot "k"
17  10:05              SPO         0    3   train, plot "l", yellow
18  10:25              SPO         4    1