(meteorobs) Setting Sun Magnitude?

Bias, Peter V pbias at flsouthern.edu
Mon Mar 14 10:36:04 EST 2005

I think a full moon is about -12 or -13 so a setting sun would have to
be many times brighter.  Each magnitude is 2 1/2 times brighter than the
next so perhaps a -20 is more like it.  I recall the famous picture of a
bright Leonid over Hong Kong during the 1998 storm of fireballs was
projected as a -17.  Still, don't think it was as bright as a setting
sun.

Pete Bias