(meteorobs) Setting Sun Magnitude?

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Mon Mar 14 11:27:49 EST 2005

Pete>>Possibly -20 is too bright, but a setting sun is markedly  brighter than
a full moon,<<

yes, you're right...So I'm thinking at least a -13 and probably closer  to
-16 or -17?

Pete>> especially if the sky is very clear--think of  the
difference in how bright the sky appears.<<

Definitely brighter, but I keep recalling a time that I photographed a
setting sun off the Ocean Beach Pier in San Diego, Ca. I remember glancing at  the
round orb of the sun just before "hitting" the water. I don't recall any
clouds, but the orb was easy to look at. Of course, I didn't look at it any
longer than a glance, although it would be easy to. A thought just occurred to
me...I was looking out over the ocean. I suppose the heavy humidity over the
ocean would play into this somehow?
GeoZay