(meteorobs) Re: Setting Sun's Magnitude

JBortle at aol.com JBortle at aol.com
Mon Mar 14 13:09:52 EST 2005

Considering that typical atmospheric extinction amounts to something like 5
magnitudes at an elevation of around 1-2 degrees above the true horizon, then
-20 is a very acceptable value for "the setting Sun."

However, and I don't know how many times I've said this to various observers
over the years, in the case of extremely bright meteors an individual viewing
the event under a moonless nighttime sky will be so unprepared and overwhelmed
by the sudden appearance of a truly bright object (in excess of say -7 or -8)
that it would be expected for them to wildly overestimate its brilliance. A
meteor truly equal to the full moon in brilliance (and naturally subtending a
much smaller apparent diameter) seen in a dark sky likely could not be looked
at directly by a dark adapted observer. In the case of the nighttime appearance
of a fireball of -20 , it would unquestionably blind the observer for several
minutes. Even the resulting brilliance of the surrounding sky during such an
event would undoubtedly force you to cover your eyes.

J.Bortle