(meteorobs) Oregon Fireball

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 14 17:36:44 EST 2005

    Dr. Jeremy Tatum says he will work out the trajectory of this fireball
if someone will send him/me in situ measurements with a compass for
direction and a clinometer for elevation.  This is what is needed:

1.  Your location from a topo map or GPS reading. Long and Latitude ,
elevation if available.

2.  Compass direction where the fireball was first observed measured with a
compass, NOT an estimate.  Indicate if this is magnetic or true.

3.  The elevation of the fireball when it was first sited measured with a
clinometer or other angle measuring device.

4. Repeat step (1) and (2) for the last direction you observed the fireball.

5. It would be useful to measure the slope of the trajectory also.

    Dr. Tatum is going out to interview observers of this fireball to take
these measurements from  B.C. locations.  He now needs the same thing done
from the other side of the fireball track.  Ask the observer if the fireball
was moving "right-to-left" or "left-to-right".  This gives us a quick
indication on which side of the track you are on.

    In previous emails I understand that amateurs at a star party observed
this fireball.  They would be the ideal people to interview.  They may even
have been using telescopes with digital setting circle capability.  In the
future use these to record the position of the start and end points of the
fireball including the time you noted the measurements.  This can be in RA
and Dec or Azimuth and Elevation.  Some of these telescopes have GPS
capability and will even give you your location.  Try and do this promptly
after observing the fireball.
    I look forward to seeing some accurate measurements.

Thanks:

Ed Majden