(meteorobs) Northwest Fireball of March 12

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Mon Mar 14 19:46:26 EST 2005

lunsford>>The fireball occurred near 0345 Universal Time on March  13.<<

How was this time determined? Time stamped when reported to the police or
something like that? The times in the AMS log ranged between 0315 to 0630 UT. I
get the impression that most of these times were reported several hours
later.

lunsford>>The object was intensely green with a peak magnitude in  the range
of -15
to -20<<

In the log, magnitudes ranged between -6 to -26...quite a spread. Probably  a
fair number of  inexperienced observers juiced up with adrenalin maybe?
Another thought about the DoD surveillance satellites...I believe they have a
minimum magnitude of objects they pick up? I'm not sure, but I believe it's in
the neighborhood of -16 to -18?

lunsford>>It could possibly  belong to the Anthelion (Virginid) meteor
shower, whose
radiant was low in  the southeast at the time.<<

Could also be a sporadic?
GeoZay