(meteorobs) Multiple sonic booms

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sat Mar 19 09:40:45 EST 2005

I was wondering if there is meaning to the number of sonic booms heard from
a falling meteorite? If a meteoroid fractured into several pieces while still
traveling supersonic, It stands to reason that each piece could produce a
hearable sonic boom, once it reaches below about 30 miles altitude. Would it be
these circumstances that would produce the long rumblings that might be
associated with meteorite dropping fireballs? Or is there another cause for the
long rumblings that sounds like rolling thunder? Would a single supersonic
meteorite produce multiple sonics? Any rumblings or just a simple loud  boom?
Would a meteorite with velocities that are multiples of the  speed of sound,
produce more than one boom? Let's say a meteorite drops below an  altitude of
about 30 miles with a velocity of 4 times the speed of sound for  that altitude,
will it produce 4 booms? I don't know much about sonic boom  production such as
with aircraft. Just trying to figure out if there is a sonic  signature here
that meaning can be applied to for falling meteorites? Anybody  got any
thoughts about this?
George Zay