(meteorobs) Multiple sonic booms

Terry Richardson richardsont at cofc.edu
Sat Mar 19 10:31:02 EST 2005

George et al.

Your question is a good one and since I am familiar with the physics
here I might be able to shed a  little light on the question. A sonic
boom is a shock wave that develops from an object that is traveling
faster than the speed of a wave in the particular medium involved.
Almost all of us have seen a shock wave in water. The wake of a boat is
just such a shock wave. When a boat passes the shore at a speed greater
than the speed of water waves, the wake streams back boat the boat and
eventually washes along the shore. That wash is the water equivalent of
our hearing a sonic boom due to something in the air when its shock
wave reaches us.

Based on that view, four sonic booms would imply four objects; HOWEVER,
I said only that I was familiar with the physics but not an expert in
this area. The water example is with a homogeneous medium of constant
density. I can easily see effects in the atmosphere with different
layers or perhaps regions of changing and differing densities perhaps
refracting the wave and providing multiple paths to our ear of the same
wave.

Perhaps some of our members with aviation knowledge can shed even more
light here.

Clear skies,

TR

Terry Richardson