(meteorobs) Multiple sonic booms

Bias, Peter V pbias at flsouthern.edu
Sat Mar 19 14:01:25 EST 2005

Hi all,

Terry Richardson wrote

>Based on that view, four sonic booms would imply four objects; HOWEVER,
>I said only that I was familiar with the physics but not an expert in
>this area. The water example is with a homogeneous medium of constant
>density. I can easily see effects in the atmosphere with different
>layers or perhaps regions of changing and differing densities perhaps
>refracting the wave and providing multiple paths to our ear of the same
>wave.

Just as an aside, many of us in Florida (and California I suspect) are familiar with the sonic booms made during  Space Shuttle landings.  When they pass overhead we often hear two distinct booms that are spaced only a fraction of a second apart.  One contiguous piece can clearly make more than one sonic boom.

Pete Bias
Lakeland Florida  USA