(meteorobs) Multiple sonic booms

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sat Mar 19 14:37:50 EST 2005

Pete>>Just as an aside, many of us in Florida (and California  I suspect) are
familiar with the sonic booms made during  Space Shuttle  landings.  When
they pass overhead we often hear two distinct booms that  are spaced only a
fraction of a second apart.  One contiguous piece can  clearly make more than one
sonic boom.  <<

Yes, very close apart. Close enough for me to think of it as being one
object as the source. Sorta reminds me of a "Ba-Boom!" sound. If I heard a
"Ba-Boom, Ba-Boom" sound of equal intensity, perhaps I could think of it as  being
two objects?
GeoZay