(meteorobs) Multiple sonic booms

mark ford markf at ssl.gb.com
Mon Mar 21 04:32:16 EST 2005

Hi,

Multiple rocks can cause separate sonic booms, but also a single object
can cause multiple booms if it is spinning or irregular in shape as it
enters the lower atmosphere.

Here is a recording of the Bovedy Meteorite breaking up over Ireland

Which fell 25th April 1969 at 9:22pm (it is an L3 chondrite).

http://fernlea.tripod.com/bovedy.wav

Best

Mark Ford
BIMS