(meteorobs) How "large" is that meteor?

Geert Barentsen geert.barentsen at pandora.be
Sun Mar 27 16:39:48 EST 2005

Hello Jeff,

Interesting question, I have never wondered about this before.

Here's a wild guess. Let's say we have a homogeneous, tangential,
cylinder-shaped meteor trail. According to a quick sketch and my rusty
geometry, the diameter d could be written as:
d = tan(alpha) * ( h / sin(beta) )     with alpha = apparent width at the
sky (arc degrees), h = meteor height, beta = angle between horizon and meteor.

For a typical meteor (90km high, 60 degrees above the horizon), an apparent
size of 1 arc minute would correspond to a trail diameter of +- 30 meter.

But once again, this is only a wild geometric guess. I find it hard to
estimate the apparent size of a typical meteor. Also, I have no idea about
the relation meteroid size/speed <-> trail width.  Surely some people on
this list will be able to tell us more.

Geert