(meteorobs) Re: Astronomy on the Personal Computer, 4th edition (with C++ code)?

David Entwistle david.entwistle at dial.pipex.com
Wed Mar 30 15:09:05 EST 2005

In message <6.1.0.6.2.20050330021015.02e26ec8 at in.telenet.be>, Geert
Barentsen <geert.barentsen at pandora.be> writes
>PS: Does anyone know of other nice books on this topic?  Maybe good math.
>books on celestial mechanics?

Hello Geert and meteor observers,

After reading Lew's posting, I've ordered myself a copy of 'Astronomy on
the Personal Computer' from amazon.co.uk.

I already have copies of the following books covering astronomical
calculations:

'An Introduction to Celestial Mechanics' - Forest Ray Moulton.
Originally published in 1902 and still going strong. The cover says it
is 'An unrivalled text in the field of celestial mechanics' and I tend
to agree. Much of the maths is beyond me, but one day I'll get to
understand it...

'Astronomical Algorithms' - Jean Meeus. Comprehensive and
understandable.

'Practical Astronomy with Your Calculator' - Peter Duffett-Smith.
Includes elliptical and parabolic orbit calculations. First published in
1979. A good beginners book and, in my opinion, the best of the three
Duffet-Smith offerings.

'Astronomy with your Personal Computer' - Peter Duffett-Smith. Includes
Basic programming language solutions to elliptical and parabolic orbit
calculations amongst many other things. Again, easy to follow.

'Easy PC Astronomy' - Peter Duffett-Smith. Never really got to grips
with this and its Astroscript language.

'Elements of Mathematical Astronomy' - Martin Davidson. A down to Earth
book written before personal computers (1949). Includes 'On finding the
path of a meteor from two or more observations' and 'The size of a
meteor'.

--
David Entwistle