(meteorobs) Fw: Possible meteorite

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Tue May 3 00:09:39 EDT 2005

Hola List, Linda,

I just wanted to respectfully clarify the  objection about meteorites being
"the temperature of space" as the "real problem  here".  While withholding for
the moment interpretations of the "boiling  lake", I just wanted to add that
space has no temperature and the "temperature  of space" is really a
meaningless concept in this situation.

Temperature  realistically considered, is a sort of a measure measurement of
kinetic energy  at the molecular level.  Which means one needs to have a mass
to have a  temperature, and then to check the energy flux through, for
example, a standard  unit cross sectional area.

Even that alone will not determine  temperature, because then you need to
look at heat capacity and mass (heat  accumulation potential) the like of the
material, which gets complicated because  then you have to look at the
equilibrium of energy efficiency: wavelengths of  energy absorbed and emmisivity.

So, in the case of a meteorite:

If you work out the math based based  on a few simplifying assumptions and
reasonable, you will find that iron  meteorites that fall have a core
temperature around 90 degrees C (194 F), which  is rather hot to touch, and the outside
rind from ablation could easily briefly  reach over 100 C (212 F) degrees
before quenching.

Whether the iron  meteoritic mass actually makes it to the surface of the
earth at that  temperature is another question, though.  Because after the
incandescent  portion of the flight depending on size, the freefall speed for irons
reached is  about 400 miles per hour nearing sea level for a typical decent
chunk.  And  when you blow on something it cools down - a surface phenomenon.
So the  actually cooling of the meteoritic chunk does not happen in space, but
rather in  the lower atmosphere of earth from wind.

If it is an iron meteorite and  reasonably big - say the size of a
basketball, it most certainly will be warmer  than ambient as soon as ground
equilibration begins (initially, from the dark  phase wind cooling, the surface, which
started out hotter during ablation, may  be colder - this will depend on shape
and mass).

If it were a stone  meteorite, due to the different characteristics stony
concretions have than  iron-nickel, the temperature would be right around 0 C (32
F), a big difference,  still from the implied frigid temperature of space.

Actually the earth  itself is not magic and our temperature should be right
about freezing, or  perhaps 5 - 10 below C (20 to 30 F) due to very similar
considerations despite  the magmatic activity of the core.  The planet is in a
sort of thermal  equilibrium just like other fixed objects on skewers (axes)
orbiting.  The  real extra 25 C (extra 45 F) is due mostly to the atmospheric
greenhouse  effect.

Now back to the question of Linda.  Could a meteorite have  caused all that?
My answer would be definitely no, but I woudn't even  think about the lake
activity.  If such a bolide came in, a huge end-of-the  world
thundering-smashing-puttering sound would definitely have been more  memorable than the the
bubbling lake, caused by the more distant mass entering  with cosmic velocity.  If
you worry about the lake "bubbling" as in boiling  would she not have found
dead fish and other scalding traces?  Of course, a  heavy iron (or stone)
hitting bottom certainly could release a lot of pent up  detrital gas from the
sediments of the lake bed giving the impression of boiling  whether any boiling
occured or not (and boiling could possibly occur with a  large iron base on the
above comments).  But then where were the  thunderclaps?

PS The Mazapil, Mexico meteorite was documented to have fallen  sizzling.
How sizzling it was is hard to confirm 125 years later, but it  is pretty well
accepted it was hot or warm.  As was Cabin Creek.   Those are both metal.  As I
posted here recently, an aquaintance picked up  a stone meteorite moments
after it fell 25 feet from him.  Initially  it was normal to slightly warm to
touch.

Hope this helps...Saludos,  Doug

En un mensaje con fecha 05/02/2005 1:06:30 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
lunro.imo.usa at cox.net escribe:
Here is an interesting note sent to the  American Meteor Society. I could
have dismissed this story outright but I  felt others had the right to
express their views. I'll share any of your  comments with Linda.

Thanks!

Bob