(meteorobs) Fw: Possible meteorite

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Mon May 2 16:58:32 EDT 2005

>>In 1952, when I was 8 years old, my family lived in a house on  a hill
overlooking Townline Lake in Lakeview, Michigan.  I was sitting  on the
screened porch when I heard a loud splash.  When I looked up, I  saw a large
round area of the lake boiling.  I was frozen with  fascination.  The boiling
area looked to be perfectly round.  It  was approximately 50-75 yards from
shore ( it's hard to judge distance  across the water) and the round boiling
area was approximately 30-40 feet  wide.  The boiling circle drifted to the
left about 20-30 feet from  where it had begun as if something was drifting
down to the bottom of the  lake at an angle.  After watching it for several
minutes, the boiling  slowly stopped. <<

This sounds like it could be a sudden release of Carbon Dioxide. Something
similar, but much larger has occurred at least a couple times in Cameroon back
in the 80's I believe it was? That incident killed a lot of people and
cattle. I  believe the CO2 is in solution much like the CO2 within a soda bottle
before  opening. After the pressure is released, the CO2 gas bubbles rush to the
surface. In the Cameroon lake, it is believed that something similar
happened.  Just what triggered it to be suddenly released, I don't know. They have
found a  spring a few miles away, where the water comes from the bottom of the
lake. When  the water pops out of the spring, it suddenly fizzes like a soda
bottle upon  opening. Whatever happened, it surely doesn't sound like a meteorite
is at the  root.
George Zay