(meteorobs) Determining if a meteor is part of the shower

Al - Sky Insight Al.Degutis at gmail.com
Wed May 4 11:57:20 EDT 2005

I've just started observing meteors. This morning (03:00 CDT) I was
out for about an hour in hopes of seeing some Eta Aquarids. At my
latitude (42°N) Aquarius doesn't get above the horizon before 3am. I
spotted 7 meteors between 03:30-04:30 but I'm not sure if any were
part of the shower or if all were just sporadic. None of them were in
the east. The closest one were in or around Cygnus and the rest a
little south and a bit north near Draco.

About half traveled from west to east and those may have been Aquarids
but the others traveled east to west. I'll be out again the next two
mornigs but how do I determine which ones are part of the shower and
which are not?

Thanks
Al Degutis