(meteorobs) Re: Determining if a meteor is part of the shower

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Wed May 4 16:50:36 EDT 2005

Al and All,

Shower meteors can appear in any portion of the sky. The main determining
factor on whether they are Eta Aquarids or not is if their path lines up
with the radiant in Aquarius. Eta Aquarid meteors will appear to shoot from
the radiant area in Aquarius, therefore those moving west to east cannot
possibly be Eta Aquarids. Most Eta Aquarid meteors will appear swift and
will be gone in an instant. This is caused by the fact that they are
striking the Earth in a head-on direction. Eta Aquarid meteors seen close to
the radiant will appear to move more slowly as they are approaching the
observer. Their path lengths will also be shorter than those seen far from
Aquarius. Aquarids seen low in the sky will also be shorter and slower as
they are moving away from the observer. Eta Aquarid meteors are also notable
for producing a high percentage of persistent trains. These trains are made
up of ionized gas and appear as smoke-like streaks for a short time after
the meteor has vaporized.

Hopefully these clues will help you distinguish between meteors during your
next session. For those new to meteor observing, it is often difficult to
distinguish their path as they last on the order of one half second. A
useful tool to use to help determine the path direction is a dark, thick
cord approximately three feet long. A shoelace is a perfect example. While
you are waiting have the cordtips in each hand and then extend it over the
path of the meteor once it is seen. If the meteor was moving away from
Aquarius and cord then lines up with the radiant area in Aquarius then it's
a good chance you jut saw a true Eta Aquarid.  By the way, the radiant area
is located near the "Y" shaped group of dim stars located in north-central
Aquarius. You can find out more about observing meteors from the following
web sites:

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/meteors/article_98_1.asp
http://www.amsmeteors.org/
http://www.namnmeteors.org/