(meteorobs) Thoughts on tonight's fireball

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Wed May 4 23:28:47 EDT 2005

	I was talking to my brother in the parking lot of his apartment
complex in Dallas, Texas around 21:20 Central US Time (UT-6) when I saw
a *really* bright meteor that started low in the northwest portion of
the sky and streaked "down" and east for about 30 degrees.  I think it
started near canis major, since there was light cloud cover from the
recent rain and I could only identify a few lights through the haze.
That struck me as remarkable, though, that I could barely make out
Sirius and this thing shone through the yellowish vapor like a blue -4
star.  The actual magnitude must have been considerably greater.  No
discernible train, but I wouldn't expect one under those conditions.

	Any idea which shower this might be, or if perhaps something
man-made was reentering?  It seemed an odd direction for a meteor at
this time of night, especially one so bright; then again, it could just
have been going really fast.

Clear skies,

Peter