(meteorobs) Fw: Possible meteorite

skywise skywise at dslextreme.com
Thu May 5 15:09:20 EDT 2005

Dan Wright wrote:

> I have read with interest the hypotheses put forward to explain the 1952
> event in Lakeview, Michigan, witnessed by a then eight-year-old girl.
<Snipola>

> There is another possibility, which in this case might be more plausible
> than anything derived from the annals of weird science. The year 1952
> happened to include the most dramatic and persistent appearances of UFOs
> in U.S. history. Numerous military documents, since acquired via the
<Snipola>

> Before you dismiss the UFO hypothesis as merely folklore, please ask
> yourself whether it is more plausible that every one of those
> close-encounter witnesses was lying or deluded yet happened to describe
> their sightings essentially the same.
<Snipola>

My response is only directed at the idea of what was observed in the
lake was a 'UFO'.

I think David Hume said it best, "That no testimony is sufficient to
establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that it's
falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to
establish."

In the context of this specific observation, the idea of it being a
'UFO', whiel not impossible, is less plausible than it being one of
the other explanations brought forth so far.

[apologies if this thread is straying too far off topic, I know I'm new
here and I've not been subscribed long enough to know how far OT threads
are usually allowed to stray]

Brian
--

Home of the Seismic FAQ