(meteorobs) MAY 5/6 am Eta Aq report from E Central KS - (MATBE)

Bertunit at aol.com Bertunit at aol.com
Mon May 23 21:33:27 EDT 2005

The morning following the big -4 Eta Aq. trainleaver, I was at it again.
This, the
third morning in 4 of them, saw the best activity for me in 2005.

I got to my lake site S of Overland Park KS and sat up and started
observations
at 337 am, 6th MAY UT (0837 UT) and the clear skies lasted exactly 12 min.
with
two sporadic meteors,
when a fast moving bank of cirrus wiped me out.  I stuck it out waiting for
clearing and was rewarded at 359 with the cloud bank moving on SE and
a complete 4 am to 5 am one hour count was achieved.

Eight Eta Aquarids, they were bunched in twos scattered thru the hour.
4 were train-leavers (50%). Nine other meteors seen during that hour, making
it a great hour in early May with 17 meteors.  One was an ANT and another
a N. Apex.

Best Eta Aquarid was a +1 (1.5 sec. train), with another long +1.5 (1 sec.
train)
also of note.  All the brighter Eta Aq.s were Orangish or Reddish in color.

DATE  2005 May 5/6 0337-0349 CDT .2 teff (2 Spor. meteors)
           2005 May 6th  0850-1010 UT

          2005 May 5/6 0400-0500 CDT 1.0 teff (17 total, 8 Eta Aq., 1 NPX 1
ANT)
                  May 6th -0900-1000 UT
OBSERVER - Bert G Matous (MATBE)
SITE - Rutlader, KS  N end of Louisburg Middle Creek State Fishing Lake
          + 38.5 N  94 37' W
28.5 miles S of Overland Park KS
FACING (FOV) - 1st period. SE at 80 degrees
                         2nd eriod - SE at 80 degrees
Zenithal Star - 0337-0349 am +6.3 limiting mag.
                     0400-0500 am at :30 min intervals
                     +6.25/+6.15/+5.5 limiting mag.
Observing method - Large legal pad without looking down
Total Time - 1:12
Total # of meteors seen - 19
8 Eta Aq.s, 1 ANT, 10 Sporadics (includes 1 N Apex).

Magnitude Breakdowns -

Origin   +1  +2  +3  +4  +5  +6  TOTAL
EAq      1.5  2   1.5  2    1         8        4 of 8 left trains (50%)
ANT             1                          1
N Apex              1                     1
Spor.s          3    2   1    2     1   9

REMARKS - Temp. +50 F, with some dew, no wind, pleasant.

Brighter return of the Eta Aquarids substantially over the 2003
return, also observed 5th and 6th May am that year.

Will have the May 5th am report out next(last).
.