(meteorobs) FW: Sirko Molau

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Mon May 30 13:30:19 EDT 2005

    If your interested in Image Intensified Meteor recording have a look at
this excellent link describing Sirko Molau's equipment.  Very impressive!
It is too bad we can no longer get U.S. made intensifiers because of export
restrictions placed on them after 9/11.  Canada was exempt in the past but
not now! :-(  I do find this ironic, as one can buy "new" intensifiers from
Dedal and other non U.S. countries.  Unfortunately many amateurs can't
afford the high price of "new" intensifiers but must make do with
surplus/used units, but this door has now been closed because of these
export restrictions in the U.S.A.  Isn't it odd that any U.S. citizen can
walk into a gun store and buy an assault rifle complete with a 3rd
Generation night vision scope and a non U.S. resident doing legitimate
research can't get a simple 2nd/3rd generation intensifier!  I'm sure the
above mentioned rifle is standard fare for legal game hunting in the U.S.
:-(

Ed Majden - Amateur Meteor Spectroscopist
Courtenay, B.C. CANADA

http://www.kolumbus.fi/oh5iy/astro/mcp.htm