(meteorobs) Gen 3 Intensifiers.

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Tue May 31 12:00:05 EDT 2005

on 5/31/05 8:14, Swift, Wesley at Wesley.R.Swift at msfc.nasa.gov wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Equipment availability IS appropriate.  For Canadians with Gen III
> availability problems, the equipment is available, though costly, after
> enough paperwork: Check with Dr. Peter Brown at UWO.
>
> Wes

> Wesley R. Swift, Jr
> Raytheon ITSS / Sverdrup MSFC Group
> Marshall Space Flight Center
> EV13, Bldg 4487, room C-151a
> Huntsville, Al 35812
> (256) 544-1392 Fax 544-0242

Wes:
    Yes Wes, I know that Canadians can get a "new" Gen 3 Intensifier after
doing the required paper work.  Yes, they are expensive!  Here is the
problem.  Most amateurs like myself can't afford the cost of a "new"
intensifier so we use to bid on so called "surplus or used" intensifiers on
eBay.  These often have useful life left and if your lucky you can obtain
one at a fraction of the original cost.  Because of the export restrictions,
surplus dealers and individuals will no longer ship these out of the U.S.A.
I don't know if this a result of not wanting to do the necessary paper work
or they are misinformed that this is possible for shipments to Canada.
Other countries like European residence seem to be out of luck in either
case.  I do know Peter Brown at the UWO.
    Thanks for your comments.

Ed Majden -  AMS Meteor Spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C. CANADA