(meteorobs) meteor is Belgium / region Hainaut / town of Ellezelles

gunter segers gus at pi.be
Tue May 31 03:34:45 EDT 2005

Hi,

we just moved from the city to the Ellezelles countryside.
at least now we can see the stars because here there is not much
light-pollution.

we regularly sit in our garden and just watch the sky, almost every night
something is there to be seen.

we are already used to satellites flying over (i guess thats what the fast
tiny dots flying over are)

and almost every night we watch a 'falling star'

now last night (the night of 27 on 28th of may) i woke up in the middle of
the night, i don't know what time it was (i dont have a watch...) but I
guess it must have been between 02h00 and 04h00.

after spending some time sitting it the garden (i was watching two owls
hunting) i noticed a light in the Nort-east, very low over the horizon.
It had the brilliance of a very brilliant star and seem rather large.
It dropped in a very peculiar manner, totally vertical at a very low speed,
(as if it was a spaceship landing); there was no trace of a tale (which i
have seen lots of time in a 'regular' meteor)

we live on a hillside with a 360 degrees view, so it was very clear what i
have seen. could it have been a regular meteor? but it was so low on the
horizon (5-10cm at arm length).

anyone knows what this was???

kind regards,
gunter segers