(meteorobs) Observation Nov 8/9 (ATAJU)

Jure Atanackov jureatanackov at email.si
Sat Nov 12 17:48:56 EST 2005

As Javor has already written, we observed on Nov 8/9, hoping to catch some of
the Taurid acitvity being reported on 'meteorobs'. I operated Jure Z's cameras,
one of them a Nikon D70 which was operating in 'noise reduction' mode: take an
exposure, then take a dark frame with the same exposure time. I didn't mess with
the settings as I am not familiar with it so it stayed in this mode during
observation. Needless to say, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

I started at 1 am local under a LM6.7 sky. Rates were good from the start, with
two bright +1. mag NTAs in the first 20 minutes. Fifteen minutes into the
observation, I saw a flash on the southern horizon. My guess is it was a
fireball around -6. magnitude. I finished the hour with 4 NTA, 7 STA and a
whopping 28 sporadics. 14 minutes into the second hour, at 01:11:28UT a
brilliant -8. magnitude STA fireball appeared low in the south. It produced a
bright flash that lit up the southern sky. Strong sporadic rates continued, with
one instance when no less than 6 sporadics appeared in one minute! All was going
fairly well when the disaster I was talking about *did* happen. Boy did it
happen!! At 02:14:12UT a most brilliant Taurid fireball appeared in the north,
taking 4 seconds for a 30 degrees long path, producing four bursts, the
brightests of which I estimated at -10. magnitude, as it lit up the entire sky.
The fireball changed colors from white to yellow to orange to bluegreen and
produced a 4 second train. I was still excited just from seeing it when I
realised it appeared in *dead center* of my camera field!! I quickly scrambled
out of my sleeping bag and to check the camera... only to find it making a dark
frame. Let me just say that my subsequent venting of anger probably produced an
exodus of wildlife within a 1 km radius. And I hate Nikon. I really do.

The Summary: