(meteorobs) Observation Nov 9/10 (ATAJU)

Jure Atanackov jureatanackov at email.si
Sat Nov 12 17:49:45 EST 2005

The second night of observation was quite eventful, as we spent the first two
hours driving around in the fog, trying to find clear skies and a good observing
spot. I could write an entire page about our trials, but there are more
important things: such as the Leonids making an apperance! Under a LM6.5 sky I
saw in 2.1h teff 8 NTA, 7 STA, 8 LEO and 46 sporadics. The 'Leonids' (I think
they were actual Leonids) came from a radiant around 148,+21. The first was a +3
meteor with a train, and the second and the third appeared in quick succession
only minutes later. There was also a bright yellow -1 meteor close to the
radiant. There was also a number of apex meteors, but these came from a larger
area. The Southern Taurids produced a single firebal: a brilliant -5 white to
pale yellowgreen slow meteor close to the radiant. The Taurids were quite
interesting these two nights: disregarding the fireballs, there was no
indication of brighter than average meteors. It was as if the bright fireballs
were a completely separate population in the meteor shower.

Also, another thing: while casually observing on Oct 28/29, I noticed 4 slow
(about as fast as the Taurids or perhaps a bit slower) coming from a radiant
betwen UMi and Dra (240,+70) within about 20 minutes. I didn't have a watch, but
the time was approximately time was between 21:15 and 22:30 UT (Oct 28th). I
immediately noticed the similarity when the second meteor appeared and was quite
surprised when two more appeared within the next 20 minutes. Note that this was
not a formal meteor watch. LM was 6.8. It is probably nothing, but video
observers might want to check the data for anything unusual.

The Summary: