(meteorobs) Taurids and storm Wilma aftermath

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Mon Nov 14 03:18:27 EST 2005

Much of the Taurid period was clear in Florida but I wasn't prepared to go
out.  Blame most of it on Hurricane Wilma.
There have been numerous reports of bright meteors across the media (people
not knowing what meteors are) along with  "sightings"  of a hovering red
object.  We know what the latter was, yet some people reported odd motions
for a stationary object.  Despite all the Taurid activity we have heard
about, during our dog walks around 1 -2 AM most nights neither of us saw a
Taurid in an hour-plus of fragmented casual watching.  We did manage one
lone fast sporadic +2m meteor which could pass for a very late
Orionid.  Last night out back trying to get a recalcitrant beagle to come
inside, I lucked into a green-white  -3m North Taurid, brighter than
Mars.  Have to thank the dog for that one without an unsanitary kiss.

I would not have expected this much bright Taurid activity this year.  In
the past that happened primarily in years ending in 1,4,7,8.  Things
gradually shift, however, so perhaps we are getting that now.  This year
sounds like the memorable year of 1971.

Another round of local terrestrial storm activity with Wilma.  It didn't
get very high on sustained wind this time, instead rising and falling
steeply like a tropical storm.  The peak gusts looked like about 100 mph,
similar to Charley in 2004.  I was able to sit outside the front door for
over an hour sheltered by roof overhang.   Numerous spectacular blue and
green flashes from transformers, like lightning in slow motion.  The wind
gradually shifted to where I had to abandon the front and go out the back
door sheltered by a lanai.  Daylight came in time to see the strongest
part.  There were small low clouds blasting along like Cessnas.  Never got
to see anything like that before.  Joan cowered in the bedroom through the
whole thing, just couldn't handle watching any.  A cold front was coming in
well before Wilma was gone, and the stormy weather got cold fast.  What a
relief to have the outside air-conditioned while the power was off.  It
dropped to low 50's F by next morning, quite a jolt after being used to
70's.  We hit the jackpot during our first dark breakfast -- lights came
back on after only 7 hours.  Took 26 hours last year.  Living behind a
hospital has its advantages -- power is restored there before anywhere
else.  Not as much yard damage after last year's pruning.  Lost 2 banana
bunches but was surprised that 4 others stayed up.  Most of us did extra
trimming while the city was picking up large trash piles.  No house damage
to speak of, again not one shingle came off.  Previous owner had a good
roof put on.   Last night I found a floodlight that had come loose.

I was astonished to hear how many people were out scrounging for food and
water within hours after Wilma.  Why didn't they prepare?  It's not like we
didn't see it coming, and Florida is not unknown for hurricanes.  Attitudes
must be slipping at a bad time, or else they thought it wouldn't get this bad.

The darkened city skies after the storm ran about LM 6.5 the first
night.  All horizons were black.  Over the next week the sky gradually
brightened to LM 5.0.

Maybe in 2007 we will get some storm relief from an El Nino weather
episode.  But then California gets shellacked by Pacific storms.  Strong
westerlies then will prevent some hurricanes from forming.  Got to get
through 2006 first.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor