(meteorobs) Question for Bob L. re: Taurids

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Thu Nov 17 16:45:56 EST 2005

    Bob Lunsford wrote (in his most recent Meteor Activity Outlook):

> The Anthelion radiant is now centered at 04:24 (066) +21. This area of the
> sky is located in central Taurus, seven degrees northwest of the first
> magnitude orange star Aldebaran (Alpha Tauri). Since this radiant is large
> and diffuse, any slow to medium speed meteor from northern Orion or Taurus
> could be a candidate for this shower. ... It
> may make sense to list these meteors as anthelions or "ANT" but a majority
> of meteor organizations prefer that you list them from the constellation
> in
> which the radiant is currently located or the constellation where the
> shower
> reaches maximum activity. Those who send their reports to the
> International
> Meteor Organization (IMO) should list these meteors as Southern (STA) or
> Northern Taurids (NTA), depending on whether the meteors radiate from
> south
> or north of the ecliptic.
> Anthelion    04:24 (066) +21
> Hourly Rate = N. Hemisphere 3 - S. Hemisphere 2

        The Observer's Handbook of the RASC lists both the South and North
Taurids on its annual Table of Meteor Showers, with date of maximum a week
apart (Nov. 5 and 12) and ZHRs of 10 and 15, respectively. They are treated
like individual showers rather than part of the year-round anthelion
activity. Would you consider this data to be inaccurate or in error? As part
of the production team for OH -- not to mention an observer who relies on
its information -- I want it to be as correct as possible.

    Thanks. Bruce