(meteorobs) Re: Question for Bob L. re: Taurids

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Thu Nov 17 17:45:14 EST 2005

Bruce and All,

This time of year has been a sort of a dilemma for me as we are actually
seeing three radiants producing activity from one portion of the sky. We are
viewing the normal Anthelion activity combined with the Taurid radiants
produced by comet P1 Encke. I suspect most observers have difficultly
separating the two Taurid radiants so I chose to keep the Anthelion name
just to make it simple. There is also nothing wrong with using the Northern
and Southern Taurid designations. The description in the RASC handbook is
fine except the ZHR's seem to be a bit generous.

Next year I am going to follow the recommendations of the IMO and will list
the two Taurid radiants (omitting the Anthelion source) while the radiants
are actually within the borders of Taurus (Nov 1-25). I will also use their
"Eclipticids" designation for the reasons noted by Rainer Arlt in his
message on November 6.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford