(meteorobs) geminids

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Thu Nov 17 17:55:19 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/17/2005 3:56:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
md6648 at mclink.it writes:

With the  Full Moon the 15 December, we have this year a cut off
of all non luminous  meteors and then the ZHR shall be very low

I have just submitted my Geminids article that will be running on the
Space.com website on December 9.  Although I stress that the night of the  Geminid
peak will be strongly hindered by moonlight, I also point out that in  the
mornings leading up to the peak, there will be what I am calling, "windows  of
opportunity" where skies will be dark and moonless.  The duration  of these
windows will be between the time of local moonset and the start of  astronomical
twilight.

Generally speaking, for mid-northern latitudes, the window will be ~2.5
hours long on the morning of December 11; ~1.5 hours on December 12 and less  than
1/2 hour on December 13 (the morning before the peak night).

-- joe rao