(meteorobs) overlapping Taurid radiants

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Mon Nov 14 09:48:35 EST 2005

Pavol>>I`d like to ask a question. How do you distinguist two  showers with
radiants partly
overlapping, with the same velocities? Mainly in  area where these two
radiants are in line?<<

Primarily careful plotting. Sometimes if a meteor appears where it would
line up with both radiants, you might have to note the meteors path length in
relation to it's distance from a radiant. Not all the time that will work and
you might have to make an educated "guess" based on which shower is the most
active at the time you see a suspect meteor. If the sighted meteor occurs near
the peak of one of the two radiants, I would count it as a member of the
shower  that's nearest the peak. If you're still not satisfied with a choice of
showers,  flip a coin...heads for STA and tails for NTA. In the long run it
probably  wouldn't matter.
George Zay