(meteorobs) Re: [Fireball] sighting in BC

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 18 14:56:03 EST 2005

on 11/18/05 10:31, Lew Gramer at mameteors at yahoo.com wrote:

>> Subject: Meteorite sighting in BC
>> Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:52:42 -0800
>>
>> November 10, approximate time 9:45 pm, I spotted a very bright meteor
>> crashing into earths atmosphere and heading in a northerly direction. I was
>> watching the sky from the government dock in Squirrel Cove on Cortes Island
>> BC Canada when I saw this 'shooting star'  It was surely the brightest
>> episode I have ever witnessed in the 30 years I have been noticing activity
>> in the sky's.
>> ken

    I just checked the Sandia All-sky tape at EMO Courtenay, B.C. and it
detected a bright meteor at 09:40:28 MST, Nov 10, 2005 in my NE sector.  It
does not sound like your meteor as this one was heading in an apparent
Southerly direction.  I monitored the tape +/- 15 minutes of your time and
no other detections were recorded.  There was some scattered cloud in the
area.  No other reports have been received so there will probably be no
follow up on this event.

Ed Majden  B.C. - Fireball Network Coordinator - AMS Meteor Spectroscopy
West Coast Sandia Bolide Detection Station
Courtenay B.C. CANADA

http://members.shaw.ca/epmajden/index.htm