(meteorobs) meteors last night from a tight radant

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Fri Oct 7 11:33:20 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have checked my own data, some of Jarmo's data and had a look at Ilkka
Yrjola's data. I seem to have a few bright meteors from this radiant
others than Jarmo Moilanen had.
My camera was down for refocusing etc in the evening. After this it
became cloudy for several hour. I probably missed quite a number of
these meteors.
We have both captured only one common to Jarmo and myself from this
radiant, but fortunately even this one!
This was almost in between us, which is not especialy good for the
trajectory determination. However assuming this to have the common
radiant will probably help. I would hope to get the (solar system)
orbital period as accurate as possible, especially in the hope of this
being from a long period (1-rev.) trail (which would make future and
past predictions possible.).
I expect to be able to tell (from this data) the difference of short
period comet from longer period but maybe not the difference of Halley
type from really long period.
Let's see when I will have the time to measure etc ..

It appears that these were bright meteors for the most part. Typically
these appeared to have quite short paths.
Even though most of Jarmo's fireball-camera meteors of the night were
from this radiant, this was most probably not the case for visual meteor
observers.
The flux/area was probably quite small, but these meteors could be seen
from a big distance and the fireball camera did not detect dim meteors.

According to a quick look at my radio data, there were (at that time)
more than usually, longish reflections of about 20 second but these did
not practically increase the total count. (There were also some direct
propagation that caseud some harm.)
Without knowing anything on this "shower" when looking at the daily FFT
screen, I would probably not have paid attention to anything special.

This is about what I may know now,
Esko Lyytinen

Greetings,

I was out observing last night for about 3 hours to try and see any
possible early Draconids. I did casually noted a few meteors dropping
into the north that seemed to come from a common origin around
Andromeda. These were fast meteors. This included two long meteors in
Draco spaced only one second apart. At least three other meteors
during the rest of the session seemed to fit in. I did not put much
thought in them and called them "sporadics" but it did occur to me as
slightly suspicious.

I'll try to get out again this evening and this weekend to plot.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario