(meteorobs) GIA-'s The Netherlands

Koen Miskotte k.miskotte at wxs.nl
Sun Oct 9 03:31:38 EDT 2005

Hello,
During two evenings I could observe for the Giacobinids.  But I had rather hazy and foggy conditions, so circumstances were poor. First evening: 6 oktober 2005. In the period of 19:50 and 21:24 UT (longer observing was not possible because of heavy fog)I had a variable limithing magnitude (6,2 - 6,0) and a teff of 1,53 hr. I observed two GIA's! The first one was beautiful, a yellow magnitude 0 went down in Hercules. A second one of +5 appeared in Lyra. GIA's are nice meteors, due to their very slow speed and appearance. In total I counted 15 meteors this period: 2 Giacobinids, 2 Taurids and 1 delta Aurigid.
Second evening: 7 oktober.
Under poor circumstances (Lm 5.5-6.0) I could observe between 18:40 and 20:04 UT when I had to stop because of the fog. Teff : 1,23 hr. Around 19:06 I observed a beautiful +3 GIA, moving from Draco to Ursa Major. In total I observed 1 GIA, 1 TAU and 6 sporadics.
Unfortunately, 8/9 oktober was clouded out here.
Observing reports were sent to IMO and NAMN.
Clear sky's!
Koen Miskotte