(meteorobs) radio obs and doppler effect

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sat Oct 8 18:59:34 EDT 2005

>>Hello.  This is my first post to the group.  I've  been listening to TV
channel 2 and 3 meteor echos for several months  now.  Most recently I
purchased an SDR-14 (http://rfspace.com/), which  allows me to see and
hear echoes both above and below the carrier at the  same time.  I've
heard hundreds of meteor pings, most very brief, some  long, but never
have I heard a meteor echo with a doppler effect.   I've tried USB,
LSB, and CW, but the burst is always monotone, unlike the  doppler
recordings available on the net, such as  this:
http://spacescience.com/audio/leonidsample.wav

Are reflections  that include a doppler effect very rare?  If not, I
must be doing  something wrong...<<

Ed, were you near any train tracks by any chance?  :O)  I  wonder if you were
picking up aircraft bounces as it flew by?
GeoZay