(meteorobs) Meteor Count

Kim Youmans meteorsga at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 11 21:22:24 EDT 2005

>At the end of the year, from the various observers - AMS,
>IMO, NAMN and others-   how are the number of observations corrected to
>indicate the actual quantity of meteors to enter the atmosphere for a
>given year.

    Jan is right.  If someone were to use a given year's data to attempt
such a calculation,
it would be an extrapolation, not some quantity derived from and based
solely on
combined observers' reports.
    I doubt that researchers rely too much on visually observed rates to
project
yearly meteor rates for the planet when radar and radio observations are
much more
effective for that purpose.

K. Youmans