(meteorobs) Meteor observations: East Georgia 10-14-2005

Kim Youmans meteorsga at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 14 16:44:25 EDT 2005

     After two weeks of wet, dreary, overcast skies, things finally cleared
a bit last night.
I had planned on observing the two hours before dawn but overslept.  I did
wake up just after 4:00 am,
and made it to my site in time to get in a good hours worth of observation.
    Sporadic rates were quite good, and I logged a total of 16 meteors
during the session.
This was probably as busy as any non-shower period of the year, for me.
Three ORI were seen and two ANT.
At 9:06 a bight meteor moving N to S with about a 15 degree path length
appeared due east of me.
I had to turn my head 90 degrees to see it.  Just as its brief train
vanished, another SPO with
about a 2 degree path crossed the path of the first meteor!! It was a bit
astonishing to see two
unrelated meteors appear at virtually the same time and in exactly the same
spot in the sky!

     The moon should allow me at least one more 1-hour period tomorrow
morning...
OBSERVER: Kim S. Youmans (YOUKI) DATE: 10-13/14-2005
BEGIN:08:52 UT END 09:52 UT LOCATION: Emanuel Co, Ga.
82. 11' 34" W; 32. 29' 39" N
METHOD: Tape Elev. 257 ft
Facing South,  Sky obscured (see Period 1)
No Breaks; Mean Sol long=201.052 OCT 14, 2005
LM +6.33 FOV Mid-session 5 hr 10min +17; Total Teff=1.0
F=1.0
SPO(11) ORI(3) ANT(2) Total (16)

Showers Observed
ORI (3)   06:04 (091) +15
ANT (2)  02:32 (038) +14
EGE (0)  06:40 (100) +27
SPO (11)

Magnitude Distribution
SPO(11)    0(1) +2(1) +3(4) +4(3) +5(2)
ANT(2)                         +3(1)           +5(1)
ORI (3)     +1(1)           +3(1) +4(1)

Meteor Data
P1 (8:52 - 9:52 UT)
Time    Shower    Mag.   Speed (0-5)      Comments
08:54  SPO             3     3
08:57  ORI              4   2
08:59  ORI              1   3     train
09:01  SPO             2   2