(meteorobs) 55.25 mhz radio echoes

Andy Smith andy at television.f9.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 14:24:47 EDT 2005

Hi Ed,

Yes, this is the place to discuss them. There are many radio observers
lurking amongst the visual observers here!

Unfortunately the image links you provided only came up with an error page
here:

Error

GROUP_CHECK
gpg7.bc.scd.yahoo.com:GROUP_CHECK

Generally, the presence of a meteor echo signal above or below the "nominal"
carrier frequency is usually a factor of the upper air windspeed/direction.
A meteor entering the atmosphere leaves a trail of plasma that reflects the
signal, and this is blown along by the wind until it disipates and can no
longer sustain a reflection. If the frequency offsets from the "nominal" are
constant, it could well be signals from separate transmitters. Until I can
see your images I can't comment further. Feel free to email them to me using
the links on my website.

Many reflection examples can be seen on my website at
http://www.tvcomm.co.uk/radio. My live pages are currently offline whilst I
rebuild the shack! Other observers are also listed at the bottom of the
index page.

Regards,
Andy Smith G7IZU.