(meteorobs) Stone at Mecca

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Fri Oct 21 05:01:25 EDT 2005

Steven Kolins wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2005, at 7:51 PM, Matson, Robert wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> The Wabar craters are associated with a large iron meteorite fall;
>> however, I seriously doubt that the black stone at Ka'ba (literally,
>> "square building" is an iron meteorite.  It could, however, be an
>> unusually large specimen of black impactite glass from one of the
>> Wabar craters -- i.e. a giant Wabar pearl.  That the black stone
>> (which has broken into several pieces) has been worn smooth by
>> centuries of rubbing/kissing further supports the idea that it is
>> fused silica, rather than iron or chondritic material.  --Rob
>

> When was the Wabar craters? Is this the c.1863AD fall in the empty
> quarter of Saudi Arabia? This is far out of sync with the setting up  of
> Mecca as a place of Moslem pilgrimagte circa 651AD, let alone the
> original usage of the Ka'ba long before.

Exactly. New datings put the Wabar craters at a very recent age, probably 19th
century.

The Ka'aba stone has been seen by at least one professional geologist (a
muslim). Who deemed it a very large agate.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek  -  Dutch Meteor Society  (DMS)
e-mail: meteorites at dmsweb.org

DMS website: http://www.dmsweb.org
private website:  http://home.wanadoo.nl/marco.langbroek
-----