(meteorobs) Orionids in bright Moon light

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Mon Oct 24 19:58:09 EDT 2005

   I observed for three hours on the morning of October 21, divided roughly
evenly among the three M's -- Mars, Moon, and meteors. While a beautiful sight
in its own right, the Moon was major hindrance, not only being a brightly
gibbous Hunter's Moon but an exceptionally high declination one as well -- it
was near the star El Nath (beta Tauri, the bottom of Auriga's pentagon), and
crested near the maximum possible +29° on the 22nd. Ominously, during my two
hours of telescopic observing, I didn't spot any "accidental" meteors either
in the eyepiece or in between times.

   With dark skies being a practical impossibility, I spent an hour on my back
deck starting just after 3 a.m. local time (9h UT, the putative peak of the
shower). Limiting magnitude was 4.0 at best, and lying flat on my back the
Moon was impossible to escape no matter what direction I faced. (Next time
I'll try that umbrella idea!) I waited a full half hour with no meteors, then
got two within about half a minute, both in Camelopardalis. The second was
particularly nice, right in my direct vision, about mag -1, brief train. This
was followed by another half hour of nothing.

   This fall marks my 20th anniversary as a serious observer, beginning with
observations of Comet Halley in 1985. So while this observing session was of
no scientific value, it nonetheless brought me great pleasure to see the fiery
demise of a couple of remnants from that famous comet. It gave me pause to
consider how far these particles had strayed from their parent, now well on
its way to aphelion, and to ponder anew the dynamics of a well-established
meteoroid stream.

   Bruce