(meteorobs) Re: Robert Lunsford

Jason Blumstein dirtyjerz2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 20:29:31 EDT 2005

Why are you downplaying the Leonids?  Especially after saying that the Geminids will be under a full moon at peak.  I attending College in Charleston and the weather has not been cooperating the past 2 years.  Every meteor shower has been blocked out by clouds when I could observe.

Going back to the observation that I loosely observed, I was showing a girl how bright Mars was looking when I saw one streak across the sky below.  It appeared that it was across both twins in Gemini, I meant to say that not Orion. I will try to observe the Leonids with a little bit more accurate descriptions.  I TA for the college of Charleston so maybe for extra credit we can get some students to plot the points of the observations posted on here, and compare them with my loose predictions.  We have pretty good equipment and an excellent staff that is always looking to take on more research.  So keep your eyes on the skies, may we all experience clear skies.

Jason

Robert Lunsford <lunro.imo.usa at cox.net> wrote:
Jason and All,

Actually most meteors are never seen in the constellation for which they are
named. Orionid meteors will all trace back to a common area in Orion but are
actually seen all over the sky, usually far away from Orion. The next major
shower will occur on December 13/14, when the Geminids reach maximum
activity under a full moon. Until then there are the Taurids (active now),
Leonids (active Nov. 17-19), and the Alpha Monocerotids (active Nov. 21).

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford