(meteorobs) Re: Off-Topic X-ray film etc.

Richardson, Terry R. RichardsonT at cofc.edu
Sat Sep 3 22:18:59 EDT 2005

Ed,

Your lens is fast but they had even faster ones believe it or not. The phosphor screens had low efficiency convewrting x-ray ro light and of course if there was a patient involved, then the x-ray dosage would have been too high is the photographing lens had a slow f/ration. These lenses were produced in the 1950's when the only phosphor was calcium tungstate. there are better ones now.

Pretty much any film does a good job in the blue and UV. In film's early days it was the yellow and red sensitivity that was missing until the development of panchromatic films and then later infrared sensitivity was also developed again with the use of various agens. The situation is really a cousin of the photoelectric effect where shorter wavelength and thus higher energy photons (sudh as UV and blue) have the energy to transform the silver halide crystal so that is is reduced by development while red light and longer wavelengths lacks the energy.

I don't seem to have any ready information in my database on the spectral resonse of x-ray film to UV but I suspect is it uniformly good.

Below is a link with more information that might be useful to you. Also let me say I have followed your work from the post here and I admire what you do and have often tried to think of ways I might someday have some of my students try to collaborate with you perhaps analyzing data or doing spectra themselves. Also you should not rule out trying to get a grant for your work. Money is tight now and I am not an expert but there are probably ways to make that happen.  At least you should take a stab at it.

x-ray link->     http://www.e-radiography.net/radtech/f/film.htm

Clear skies,

TRR