(meteorobs) Re: Off-Topic X-ray film etc.

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 3 23:10:19 EDT 2005

on 9/3/05 19:18, Richardson, Terry R. at RichardsonT at cofc.edu wrote:

> Ed,

> I don't seem to have any ready information in my database on the spectral
> resonse of x-ray film to UV but I suspect is it uniformly good.
>
> Below is a link with more information that might be useful to you. Also let me
> say I have followed your work from the post here and I admire what you do and
> have often tried to think of ways I might someday have some of my students try
> to collaborate with you perhaps analyzing data or doing spectra themselves.
> Also you should not rule out trying to get a grant for your work. Money is
> tight now and I am not an expert but there are probably ways to make that
> happen.  At least you should take a stab at it.

Terry:
    Thanks again for the information and kind words.  I received a small
grant from the AMS, they bought an Optec LLC blazed transmission grating for
me to test.  I in fact obtained a faint Perseid spectrum with it in August.
Too faint to be of much use I'm afraid.  Sandia Research also supplied the
All-sky bolide patrol camera I use.  I'm one station in a growing network
for tracking fireballs.  http://www.unb.ca/passc/meteorites/MIAC/  I'm a
retired radar tech from the Canadian military so it is much too late to look
for further support.  This should go to young people just starting out I
would think.  The best support I receive is from professionals like yourself
and others like Jiri Borovicka that take an interest in what I'm doing.  I
don't have a college background so I try and pick the brains of
professionals to keep me on the right track and help me understand the
physics.  Hopefully what I do benefits their work in a small way.  At least
I hope it does. I'm always looking for surplus gratings, image intensifiers,
and film so if you hear of a good source let me know.  The intensifier thing
may be difficult as your government has put export restrictions on them
since 9/11.  If I can help you in anyway do not hesitate to ask.
Best regards:
Ed